October 7, 2009

Fashionable Francophiles Flock to Fashion Week - aka French names to honour Paris Fashion Week


Bonjour. Accueillir à Onomastics Anonyme

Paris is one of my absolute favourite cities. Before I went there I used to think the whole city of love thing was just an advertising gimmick, well if it is then I'm sold! Cruising down the Seine past all that beautiful architecture, meandering the stunning corridors of the Palace of Versailles (ok not actually in Paris but close to it!) and the people everywhere enjoying the company of their partners. Paris really is a beautiful city. Anyhow, in honour of Paris Fashion week I thought I'd put a spotlight on French names. I love French names and I know there are plenty of other people out there who can't get enough of their French baby names!
Obviously I can't list every French name in existence so here are some of my favourites.

Some things to remember:
Think Jean-Pierre, Marie-Antoinette, Jean-Marc. Hyphenated first names are not at all uncommon in France. These are used as a persons full first name. If you meet a Jean-Pierre make sure you cal him that unless he tells you otherwise. I know a John-Pierre and he insists on only being called JP. So if you go for a hyphenated name be aware that people may want to shorten it, may sure you are ok with that.

Many girls names come from boys names and many have only the addition of a single letter to differentiate them. Sometimes the names are pronounced the same way as well and the spelling can be the only distinction. Make sure to take this into account when selecting a French name. Many names also have an English counterpart.

My Favourite French Girls Names

Adele
Aimee
Amelie
Anais
Anouk
Astrid
Brigitte
Camille
Capucine - Probably not a good one to use in Australia though for it's similarity to the drink Cappuccino.
Celine
Claire
Elodie
Emilie
Francoise
Helene
Henriette
Josephine
Juliette
Madeleine
Manon
Margaux
Martine
Monique
Noemi
Oceane
Odette
Simone
Valentine
Victoire
Zoe

My Favourite French Boys Names

Adrien
Antoine
Auguste
Benoir
Christian
Etienne
Francois
Henri
Julien
Leon
Louis
Marc
Olivier
Theodore
Tristan
Xavier
Zacharie




No comments:

Post a Comment