April 2, 2009

Getting nasty about names.



There are many blogs out there that set about to trash names that the author finds unappealing. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it because realistically they are free to say what they want, I'm saying it's something that I prefer not to do.

Sure I encounter names that make me want slap a parent or say, 'what the ...?', but the fact is that child has that name, whether they like it or not until they are at least 18, or younger if they take it to court.

Is there such a thing as a bad name? Sure I think there are bad names but I would classify these as names that make a child susceptible to bullying and harassment, make it hard for them to get by in life and lowers their self esteem or really embarrasses them. Here I would like to make reference to a child in New Zealand named Talulah Does The Hula From Hawaii and also to a poor boy in America named Adolf Hitler. Now those are good examples of bad naming.

Yes, there are many names I don't like including trendy modern creative spellings, which really do not make a name more unique when it's still pronounced the same. In fact I think creative spelling just make it harder for children as they need to constantly correct people on their names and they will always be Jaydyn with 2 y's when there's another Jaiden in the room.

I'm not hugely keen on boys names or surnames for girls. Some names I feel have made the transition only through the sheer amount of girls with those names for example, Mackenzie and Maddison. There are of course some names that I never really want to see on girls but the reality is there are girls out there with those names and who am I to tell them they have a bad name!

So whilst others may get nasty about names, I just can't bring myself to do it on such a public forum. I prefer to examine all sorts of names and of course I'm going to point out my favourites, or maybe I wont because then they could become your favourites too and as any name snob knows, you don't want your favourites to become pop, pop, pop-u-lar!

2 comments:

  1. I agree.

    And I see Siri is your discovery of the week. It's one of my favourites! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Siri! And I totally agree with you. I especially hate the holier-than-thou trashing; acting as if one's opinion is fact. And don't get me started on the hypocrisy of it all! Anyways, 'nuff ranting. I would just like to say that I love your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete