March 17, 2009

Choose your own virtue



Whilst many people want their children to hold the virtues of faithfulness, charity, hope, kindness and compassion some parents go a step further and give their child a name that reflects such a virtue like the popular name Grace.

Virtue names were spread by the Puritans, who were rather religious people. Most often they named their children after saints but often gave them names to reflect a positive virtue. They were by no means the first to do this as virtue names can be traced back to ancient Greece and Rome where people were given names with powerful meanings as a form of protection.

Possibly the most common and popular virtue name of current times is Grace. It’s not hard to see why people fall in love with this sweet name however there are many other virtue names out there to choose from.

Below is a list of other virtue names that I like.

Adora
Amity
Bonny
Charity
Chastity
Clemence
Destiny
Esprit - Not just the name of a great clothing store!
Ever
Faith
Felicity
Finesse
Gloria
Harmony
Honor
Hope
Liberty
Mercy
Merry
Patience
Pleasance
Providence
Remembrance
Serenity
Solace
Swift
Temperance
True
Verity - V names are said to be big over the next few years, this is by far my favourite.

Whilst there are many more virtue names out there, these are my top picks.

1 comment:

  1. I love virtue names! :)

    Verity = ♥
    It's in my top 10 for first names! I also have sweet Grace as a middle. I love many of the ones you have on there, in particular- Amity, Bonny, Charity, Ever, Faith, Felicity, Gloria(I also like Glory),Liberty, Patience, Serenity, & True.

    A few others I like would be Clarity (Nickname Clare. Heh.), Blythe, & Prosper. And as huge GPs- Lucidity & *gulp* Destiny.

    -Gabi

    ReplyDelete